In the years 1789-1791 the riverbed of Neglinna flowing through the modern Colorful Boulevard, was converted into a canal, whose banks have strengthened by masonry. The floods in the central part of the modern Boulevard was transformed into a swimming pool. In 1819 the river was cleaned in an underground pipe, and the pool was destroyed. By the 1830s on the site of the former floodplain has formed boulevard.
Initially it called the Tubal Boulevard, but after the construction in 1851 at this location of Flower Market got its present name – Colorful Boulevard.
Gradually Boulevard was built the stone houses and acquired fame of a favorite place for walking and amusements of citizens. By the end of the century because of the many pubs that have opened on the boulevard, it gained notoriety of place where the city is going to the bottom.
In 1880, on the colorful Boulevard Moscow Circus was opened in 1937, founded the Central Market. In 1947 the territory of boulevard is arranged well , and in 1958 opened a panoramic, later widescreen cinema "Mir". In 1988 was opened metro station "Colorful boulevard". In 2007, at the beginning of the boulevard on the Tubal Square was opened a station "Pipe".
Another global reconstruction waited Boulevard at the beginning of the XXI century. On the Boulevard was built fountain, landscaping done, but at the same time was cut down a significant amount of old trees, in connection with which the work on the boulevard have been criticized by environmental organizations.
Has lost some popularity at the turn of the century, today Colorful boulevard crowded again, largely due to the popularity of the business districts, which are located on both sides of the boulevard. However, this doesn't prevent to the boulevard continue to be a favorite place for rest and walking for a large number of citizens.
Square in the middle of the boulevard is one of the objects of cultural heritage of regional significance