The state art Museum of the peoples of the East (the other official name: State Museum of Oriental art; the Museum of Oriental art) is one of the largest cultural centers in which most fully represented the art of the Far and Middle East, and Central Asia, the Caucasus, Transcaucasia, Kazakhstan, the Republic of Buryatia, Chukotka (just over 147 500 Museum exhibits). December 18, 1991 by the decree of the President of the Russian Federation Museum of especially valuable objects of cultural heritage of Russia.
Along with the permanent exhibitions in the Museum regularly hosts exhibitions of prominent Russian and foreign artists.
State Museum of the East, occupying the House Lukinykh", created on 30 October 1918 and is one of the largest cultural centers in which most fully represented the art of the Far and Middle East, and Central Asia, the Caucasus, Transcaucasia, Kazakhstan, the Republic of Buryatia, Chukotka, etc. (vsego 500 Museum exhibits).
By the decree of the President of the Russian Federation Museum classified as "Especially valuable objects of cultural heritage of Russia". In the Museum – painting, graphics, sculpture, decorative – applied art of Japan, China, Korea, Iran, India, Vietnam, Burma, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Mongolia and many other countries (more than 100). Admiration are unique examples of ancient and medieval sculptures, including Buddhist, classic and modern art, including paintings, works of masters of art of lacquer, textiles and jewelry, wood carvings and bones, pieces of miniature sculptures, weapons, various household items.
A special place among the permanent exhibitions of the Museum are works of prominent artists, thinkers, scientists and educators Nicholas and Svetoslav Roerich. Along with the permanent exhibitions in the Museum regularly hosts exhibitions of prominent Russian and foreign artists. The Oriental Museum is not only a major exhibition complex, but research Institute, which successfully 2 doctors of Sciences and more than 30 candidates of Sciences.
The Museum houses a permanent exhibition, "the Art of Korea", "Chinese Art", "Art of Japan", "the Art of Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Burma, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia), "Art Caucasus" (North Caucasus, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia), "Iranian Art", "Art of India", "the Art of Central Asia and Kazakhstan", "the Art of Buryatia, Mongolia and Tibet", "art of the peoples of the North", "Painting of Transcaucasia and Central Asia (XIX century – 1 floor. XX)", "Creativity NICHOLAS and Senerios".
The Museum is ready to provide space for exhibitions of painters, sculptors, graphic artists, and meetings, auctions, presentations.
Tasks and activities
In different moments of its activities, the Museum has decided various tasks dictated, first of all, the socio-political situation of the country – years, the search of premises, staffing, collection of collections, exhibitions, excursions, research and lecture work, relationships with superiors and other museums and organizations, internal relationships – all these known to the public or hidden from her eyes, but very important for the Museum itself, the problem was solved in incredibly difficult conditions.
The main tasks of the State Museum of the East are collecting, recording, storage and restoration of works of art and material culture, scientific, educational and publishing activities; the promotion of cultural heritage of the peoples of Asia and Africa.
In the State Museum of the East, open and operate the permanent exposition of the art of China, Korea, Japan, South-East Asia, Middle Asia and Kazakhstan, Transcaucasia, exposure NICHOLAS and SN. Roerich, exhibitions of Russian and foreign artists. In 1998, the Museum opened the third phase of the permanent exhibition "Art of Tibet", "the Art of Buryatia", "the Art of Mongolia", in the spring of 2001 – the fourth part of the Art of India" and "the Art of Iran". In 2007, it was opened the exhibition "the Art of Ancient Egypt".
In the Museum on the basis of the research departments, the scientists work on a comprehensive study of the artistic heritage of the modern state and prospects of development of art and culture of the peoples of the East; organized and conducted scientific conferences and seminars, lectures and creative messages, which are the Orientalists, art critics, historians and archaeologists. Among the Museum staff work Ph. D., thirty candidates, three of the Honoured art worker of the Russian Federation, thirty – two Honored workers of culture of the Russian Federation, have many orders and medals. Only in the last five years has held more than 80 exhibitions, exhibited in a Museum, as well as abroad and in various cities of the Russian Federation.. Each exhibition is widely covered in the press, on television and radio. Traditionally the exhibition are accompanied by colorful posters, catalogues and booklets. By permanent exhibitions and upcoming exhibitions published guides.
Special attention to the Museum on creativity NICHOLAS and SN. Roerich. There is a scientific memorial Cabinet of the Roerichs, which hosts meetings with Russian and foreign relievedly". The Museum and the publishing house "Agni" fully filmed a collection of paintings by Roerich for the global catalog, published the album "100 paintings by NICHOLAS and SN. The Roerichs in the collection of the State Museum of the East", CD – ROMs and videos about their work.
The children audience pays attention. Many of the lectures are delivered in parallel with educational programs on the history, geography, history of culture, largely offsetting a serious shortage of material for the study of the East in school programs. For preschool and primary school works in the Museum's art Studio, preparing children for future participation in the clubs "Young orientalist", "Young art", "Young archaeologist" and "school of the young guide." Science education Department develops new methodology for thematic and sightseeing excursions, and is currently preparing a special method of excursions for children with disabilities.
From the first years of the establishment of the Museum, one of the main activities was the organization of archaeological expeditions in Central Asia and the Caucasus, 1926 – 1928). For the study of ancient cultures of the East in January 1981, the Museum created the Department of history of material culture and ancient art, began to work the permanent archaeological expedition: North Caucasian, Central Asian and Chukotka.
The challenges facing the Museum of the East for the next few years is unlikely to change radically. All kinds of activities outlined above, form the basis of any Museum, but the forms in which they are implemented, it is necessary to change and improve. Former Church of Elijah the Prophet on the street Vorontsovo Field, 16, and locked in a residential house on Nikitsky Boulevard, 12, absolutely unfit for further retention of tens of thousands of valuable works of art and history. The Museum is extremely necessary with modern equipment new large building for the storage of exhibits, libraries, archives, placement, restoration workshops, lectures, children's clubs, darkroom, etc.
The rich creative potential of the Museum allows you to expand the horizons of his research and exhibitions, which requires only patience, diligence, and worthy of funding.
The architectural complex
The main building of the State Museum of the East, known as the "House Lukinykh", is located in the urban estate in the heart of Moscow on Nikitsky Boulevard. The history of this building dates back to the beginning of the XVIII century. In 1787 architect Y. S. Nazarov on the location of the chambers of the beginning of the XVIII century at the Nikitsky gate built for princes Putting three – storey house.
In 1802 this plot of land with buildings acquired Lieutenant-General M. Lunin (uncle of the famous Decembrist MS Lunin). After the fire of Moscow in 1812 from the house remained only basement.
The construction of a new ensemble on this site began in 1814 and by the end of 1818 were built one – and two – story buildings and a new two-storey wing, which became residential home Lukinykh.
In 1818 – 1822, the construction of a new complex of buildings was carried out under the project DO Gilardi. In 1821 still unfinished main house of the estate was sold to a Commercial Bank. In the beginning of 1823, the Bank bought the property. Bank (1859 – State Bank) was located here until 1917
Urban manor House Lukinykh" is the most significant residential building Gilardi and represents an outstanding example of the Russian Empire the first quarter of the XIX century
The estate has an asymmetrical composition, which is not found more in other works of the architect. The main three – storey building on the right flanks the two – storey wing, and left a long one – story building official purpose. The estate was initially conceived as a multifunctional complex with two isolated yard through a gate.
The main building has a planar composition, the colonnade is placed in a shallow spectacular balcony with a cast openwork balconies, stretched almost the entire width of the building. The entablature, devoid of the pediment and completed extensive attic, crowned with a smooth field wall. In this construction the smart design of the main building seems to be against the simplicity of the facade outbuilding erected on a high white stone plinth. Loggia with a powerful Corinthian colonnade and the balcony of the main building create a dramatic play of light and shade, while the ionic order wings underlines its strong volume. Six – column portico wing with coupled angular columns topped by a pediment, as it was done in the eighteenth century, giving the right part of the holistic view. Adjacent the rear two – storey building was residential. To the right of the courtyard there was another with Kalashny lane. In the wing along Kalashny lane stables were located. In the "House Lukinykh" DI Gilardi combines heavy plinths and smooth walls that are decorated with fretwork friezes, wreaths, rosettes and masks over the Windows; image Lira associated with the musical inclinations of the home owners, and a cornucopia is a symbol of trade and wealth appeared after the purchase of the house by the Bank. Cast – iron fence of the balcony is a wonderful example of Russian art casting.
In may 1966 at the suggestion of the CPSU Central Committee began the search space for the State Museum of art of the peoples of the East. In considering the various options, it was decided to stay at the town house "House Lukinykh". on March 30, 1970 was the decision of the Executive Committee of the Moscow city Council No. 15/30 "On the transfer of gming MK USSR premises at No. 12 on Suvorovsky Boulevard (city manor "House Lukinykh"). In the early 1970's began the restoration of the building (the main architect of the project, NV Sibs). During the restoration works were restored exterior and interior finish of buildings painting of walls and ceiling, plaster cornices, marble stairs, opened the large Suite of elegant rooms. For the first visitors to the new Museum building opened in 1984. Currently, the building houses permanent exhibition halls and exhibition complex, lecture hall, classrooms, research staff, facilities for Museum staff.
The Museum repository, restoration workshops and research library are located in the former Church of Elijah the Prophet on a street Vorontsovo Field. The first stone Church in the village of Vorontsovo at this place, nazvana in honour of the Annunciation was built in 1514 by order of Vasily III, who lived here in the summer in velikokniazheskii gardens, renowned architect Aleviz Fryazino. In 1629 it was built a chapel in the name of the prophet Elijah, who in 1654, was replaced by a small stone dvuhlitrovy Elijah Church. In 1702, he was joined delivered at the place of the Church 1515, a large five – domed Church of Elijah the Prophet, built by the means of princes I. P. and M. P. Gagarin (the Museum has two cast iron plates with their names).
In the late 1740s on line the streets Vorontsovo Field, against the current Podsosensky lane, was built three-storey gate tower. On the same axis as it stood stone almshouse and refectories of both churches, which is about 1839 were combined into one large refectory. In 1878 architect P. P. Zykov rebuilt it again, added the bell tower decorative marquee tier, and three arch passages under it and the wall fence of the XVIII century, decorated in the "pseudo" style. At the same time were demolished the altars of dvuhshatrovaya Church 1654.
By order of city Council on February 27, 1930, № 696 the building of the Church of Elijah the Prophet in Vorontsovo field was given to the State Museum of art of the peoples of the East. In 1930 – 1931, during adaptation of the monument to the needs of the Museum of Oriental cultures were destroyed tents and head of both churches, and in 1935 the bell tower was demolished and the gate. In 1965 on the site of a demolished apses of the altar of the great temple was built 5-storey extension, after which the building lost its original appearance.
Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun: 11.00 – 20.00
Cashier: 11.00 – 19.30
Thursday: 12.00 – 21.00
Cashier: 12.00 – 20.30
Dear friends, pay your attention, to the fact that the time and days of work of "State Museum of Vostoka" can change, so before visiting it we recommend you to call +7 (495) 691 – 02 – 12.