State Museum of Fine Arts named after A.S. Pushkin – one of the largest art collections in Russia of foreign art from ancient times to the present day. In the current exhibition presents an extensive collection of educational tinted plaster casts of works of antiquity, the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, as well as the collection of original paintings, sculptures, drawings and decorative arts.
Museum was the founding date of 17 (29 ) August 1898, when the first stone was laid of the building.
May 31 (June 13) in 1912 it was opened to the public as the Museum of Fine Arts named after Emperor Alexander III at the Imperial University of Moscow.
In 1923 the museum was transferred from the university.
In 1932 it was renamed the National Museum of Fine Arts.
In 1937, the museum was named A. S. Pushkin.
In 1991, included in the State Museum of the most valuable objects of cultural heritage of the peoples of the Russian Federation.
Founder and first director of the Museum in 1911 – 1913 he was Ivan Tsvetayev (1847 – 1913), professor at Moscow University.
Director from 1961 to July 2013 was Irina Antonova, academician of the Russian Academy of Arts, Academician of the Russian Academy of Education. Today, she the president of the Museum, and the Director has become Marina Devovna mules.
As of early 2012 the Museum has more than 670 thousand items.
Annual attendance is about 1 million people.
Collection of the Museum of Fine Arts named after A. S. Pushkin presented in the museum complex of buildings.
Works at the Museum Center of aesthetic education of children and youth “Museion” (Kolymazhny lane., 6).
To support the activities of the Museum Foundation created the Museum of Fine Arts A. S. Pushkin.